I'm wondering where the GUI terminology like modal dialogue comes from.

Who first used these terms? Is there a paper or a book, or was it just sw?

  • $\begingroup$ Please show what you have googled so that others won't do duplicate work. $\endgroup$ – John L. May 1 '20 at 17:51
  • $\begingroup$ "these terms?" If multiple terms are involved, please list at least two of them. Be as specific as possible. Otherwise, people cannot be sure if you are interested, say, "pop-up" dialogue. Are you? $\endgroup$ – John L. May 1 '20 at 17:56
  • $\begingroup$ @JohnL. I just want early GUI terminology, not any specific term. Modal was the only one I could think of that is a good example. "Window" is too general and obvious. $\endgroup$ – Tomas By May 1 '20 at 18:10
  • $\begingroup$ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Star - probably the first computer with GUI software $\endgroup$ – HEKTO May 1 '20 at 21:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.