I'm wondering if there is a mathematical or computer science term for a number X such that Y | X = Y? For example:

66536 | 1000 == 66536

In this case, 1000 is the "insert name here" of 66536. Perhaps there is no name for this..? I've tried searching for "bitwise OR returns itself" and other such terms but without luck so far.

  • $\begingroup$ For single bit variables $x,y$ we have $x\lor y=y$ iff $x\le y$. So perhaps "bitwise less-or-equal"? $\endgroup$ Aug 4, 2020 at 20:04
  • $\begingroup$ I don't think there is one. Similarly to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_element, I would call it "neutral element for $Y$" $\endgroup$
    – user114966
    Aug 4, 2020 at 20:18

1 Answer 1


I would say that $X$ is a subset of $Y$, in terms of bits set.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.