At least intuitively, I understand the following terms to be rigorously associated:
- Field Separator (FS) as a delimiter which delimits text segments such as words, sentences or lines/fields and an example would be an Input Field Separator / Internal Field Separator (IFS)
- Indentation character:
- Whitespace character
- Tabulation character
- Other, less standard, indentation characters
- Line break character:
- (non-carriage-return) Line Feed (LF)
- Carriage Return Line Feed (CRLF)
- Other, less standard, line break characters
If a field separator delimits text segments (one ore more byte/s before it, in one or more field/s) I would personally name it a text segment separator and not a field separator.
Do Field separators delimit only fields or also data units (sub-fields / "words and sentences") inside fields?