I am reading Distributed Algorithms by Nancy Lynch. In chapter 16, I came across the pipe symbol. Does this mean the same as "or" in some programming languages or could someone explain that line please?

enter image description here


1 Answer 1


Its a standard notation in mathematics, called the set-builder notation.

Basically, it means: "the set of all $(m,i)$ such that $(m,j)\in T$".


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.