Production is said to be of the form $u \to v$. I want to know if you distinguish $u$ from $v$ giving them some distinguishing names, like LHS/RHS or something alike.

  • $\begingroup$ What exactly is your question? This is more a request to use uniform terminology (good luck with that!). $\endgroup$ – vonbrand Dec 25 '15 at 15:53
  • $\begingroup$ @vonbrand The question is whether there are distinguishing names for the two sides of the rule. It seems quite clear to me -- perhaps you misread it? $\endgroup$ – David Richerby Dec 25 '15 at 17:13
  • $\begingroup$ $v$ can be said to be the production of the string $u$ by the rule at hand. $\endgroup$ – Yves Daoust Dec 27 '15 at 18:25

$u$ can be called the 'head' (or left-hand side)

$v$ can be called the 'body' (or right-hand-side)

sources: source-1, source-2

  • $\begingroup$ I've never seen the terms head or body for this, while left hand side and right hand side are common. $\endgroup$ – reinierpost Feb 21 '18 at 17:53

Yes, I have found it in Parsing techniques: A practical guide

For brevity we write ---> instead of “may be replaced by”; since terminal and non-terminal symbols are now identified as technical objects we shall write them in a typewriter-like typeface. The part before the ---> is called the left-hand side, the part after it the right-hand side.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.