I am trying to write a data-type not for a tree, but for the spaces in between the leaves of thee tree. In number theory (a part of math) this is known as a topograph does it have a name in CS?

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ CS is also (a part of math). As far as I know, there is no name specific to computer science. I don't think there has ever been a CS-specific use-case though. $\endgroup$ – pdexter Aug 4 '16 at 14:12
  • $\begingroup$ For the "spaces between leaves" to be well defined, the tree needs to be an ordered tree (a tree in which the children of a vertex have some ordering). This is very often what programmers and computer scientists mean when they talk about "trees", but strictly speaking, an ordering of children is not necessary for a tree. $\endgroup$ – j_random_hacker May 17 at 14:01

The empty space is called "OTIOSE". Pronounced "oh-she-ohs"


Synonyms & Antonyms for otiose Synonyms abortive, barren, bootless, empty, fruitless, futile, ineffective, ineffectual, inefficacious, profitless, unavailing, unproductive, unprofitable, unsuccessful, useless, vain

  • 5
    $\begingroup$ Welcome to CS.SE! Do you have a citation or an example to show someone else who uses this word this way? $\endgroup$ – D.W. Apr 16 at 15:34
  • $\begingroup$ I see no evidence that this term is used. None of the synonyms you give is at all relevant to the question, so I don't see why "otiose" itself should be. $\endgroup$ – David Richerby May 16 at 16:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.