I usually write the following:

$$\{m| m:A\to B\}$$

Is there a more succint notation?


The standard notation is $B^A$.

  • $\begingroup$ Thank you. Does this notation have a name? $\endgroup$ – user56834 Apr 29 '18 at 6:49
  • $\begingroup$ Wikipedia doesn't list any name. $\endgroup$ – Yuval Filmus Apr 29 '18 at 6:52
  • $\begingroup$ @Programmer2134 Although I can't find a name, this notation seems to be derived from cardinal exponentiation and is related to the common notation of $2^B$ for the powerset of $B$. So, if you want to give a name for the notation, something like "function exponentiation notation" or "powerfunction notation" might work. Then again, a lot of notation is generally unnamed and this isn't seen as a problem. $\endgroup$ – Discrete lizard Apr 29 '18 at 9:36

$A \to B$ is a common notation for the set of functions. For instance

$$ \begin{array}{l} f : (A\to B)\times A \to B \\ f(g,x) = g(x) \end{array} $$


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.