I'm looking for a name of a group of all commands which are break the linear structure of the program.

In C PL, they are: goto,return,break,continue. C++ also contains throw.

Perl has last,next,return.

Is there a common name for those groups of commands? Where can I read about those kind of commands?

  • $\begingroup$ I can't think of anything completely appropriate. Perhaps "(special) control flow commands". For some of them "early exit" would be fine. Also "jumps" covers some of them. "control operator" is the right term for call/cc, but it could also be applied to if and while. $\endgroup$ – chi Sep 21 '18 at 18:58

These are control flow statements. There is a quite a large list of them on their Wikipedia page.

  • $\begingroup$ Except that those also include statements for structured flow control such as if and while. $\endgroup$ – reinierpost Sep 21 '18 at 22:21
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ @reinierpost As they should be. They break the linear structure of the program. $\endgroup$ – orlp Sep 21 '18 at 22:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.